Welcome to my Education Blog!

Lauren Neufeld

Week Four Tweet Some More

Me again! This week’s topic fits in perfectly with my teacher education journey.

My last in-school visit gave me insight as to how the app Class Dojo works. I have seen teacher- parent communicative apps in the past, but it was a great opportunity to learn how it works and what it can be used for specifically. My Wednesday teacher educator let me know the reasons why she preferred Class Dojo. Here are some:

1. The app allows for a bilingual parent/guardian to translate her messages to their preferred language.
  2. Any language translation of her messages are sent to her in an update. She can be sure that they read and understood.
  3. In fact, she can see a read symbol on any message she sends, so she knows who has, and who hasn’t seen it.
  4. The kids are represented in a randomized, fun avatar.
  5. These avatars can be rewarded for having a good day.
  6. The program has a clear, simple platform that is easy to navigate.
  7. It’s available as an app on both phone and android.

Now lets look at this situation provided to us on twitter by Josh Seim, an enraged uncle who had to share his niece’s penalty for using the washroom:

You can access this tweet here

As a future educator I am disgusted by this medically unsound, anxiety fostering discipline tactic. Such an app can have positive classroom impacts, however this educator is ruining the reputation of technological tools in the classroom.