Welcome to my Education Blog!

Lauren Neufeld

Week Six The Report Card Fix: Anecdotal Report Cards

Today our cohort was enlightened by a provincial wide option unknown to most parents and guardians provincial- wide. For teachers and parents who would like to push the status quo, there is an alternative option for reporting one’s grades. They are called Anecdotal Report cards.

This type of report card report anecdotally on students progress in each subject area by reporting their strengths and areas for development. Furthermore, anecdotal report cards include the experiences that each students have had throughout the term. It really surprised me when Valerie told us that most parents actually request an anecdotal report card, in replacement of a traditional letter grade or percentage.

There was never a time in my schooling experience until now, that I was given knowledge of this option! I believe that there are so many students I have taught, and many peers I know, who could and could’ve benefited from is avenue of assessment.

I have looked into anecdotal assessment further, and have found that it isn’t just an area for report cards. It is also for peer assessment! I would like to explore this further into developing anecdotal assessment for dialogic talk in the classroom! It would be incredible to produce a template for group discussion “evaluation”, including sentence starters  and prompts to respectfully disagree.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Guided-Reading-Binder-Notes-and-Anecdotal-Records-Notebook-1001333